Welcome to CYCLE Kingston!
UPDATE: May 27th, 2013 : Cycle Week is coming up fast!
Here is the list of events:
Sunday Jun 2nd
10:45-1:00pm BMX Race at 180 Woodbine (Registration Required) www.kingstonbmx.com
4:00-7:00pm Kick off film "Triplets of Belleville" at The Screening Room. Reception to follow.
Monday June 3rd : Commuter Challenge Ride-Ins
Meet at 7:45am and ride downtown in good company from one of these starting points:
Montreal St. Park'N'Ride
Invista Centre Parking Lot
Centre 70 Parking Lot
K&P trailhead (Just off Dalton Avenue in Kingston's industrial park)
All rides end on Queen's Campus at the Roll-In Breakfast on Campus!
Monday June 3rd :
7:30-9:30am Roll In Breakfast at corner of Union & University Street. Sponsored by Queen’s Sustainability Office & Queen’s AMS
5:00-5:45pm Short cycling safety talk and demonstration - a basic cycling safety overview, to include pre-ride bicycle inspection, helmet use, and review of traffic/bicycle laws and signals. City Park (50 Bagot Street) / Sponsored by Cycle Kingston
6:30-7:00pm Bicycle Parade: Usual and Unusual – from City Park to Market Square (2 km route). Sponsored by Cycle Kinston
Tuesday June 4th :
- 7:00-8:30 Cycle-Touring Talk: Basic cycle-touring how to; including types of tours, bicycle and equipment, and other trip considerations. Location: TBD / Sponsored by: Kingston Velo Club
Wednesday June 5th :
- 7:30-9:30am Roll-in-Breakfast : Northwest corner of Clergy and Princess Streets / Sponsored by Kingston Velo Club
- 6:00-8:00pm Mid-Week Stretch: KVC Mid-Week Ride (24 km) Start Location: Cataraqui Community Centre / Sponsored by Kingston Velo Club
Thursday June 6th :
- 7:30-9:00pm Evalyn Parry’s SPIN: Starring the Bicycle as Muse, Musical Instrument and Instrument of Social Change.
- Tickets are $33 available at The Grand Box Office
- Created and Performed by Evalyn Parry : Directed by Ruth Madoc-Jones : Featuring Anna Friz and Brad Hart : Production Design Beth Kates
- Location: Baby Grand Theater / Presenting by: Cycle Kingston / Sponsored by: Cruickshank Construction Ltd.; Burt’s Greenhouse; Tara Natural Foods; and B. Hogan Apiaries
Friday June 7th :
- 7:30-9:30am Roll-in-Breakfast in Market Square! Sponsored by Cycle Kingston
Saturday June 8th :
- 9:30am-2:00pm K&P Trail Ride (approx. 31 km, round trip) Meet at Dalton Ave. Trail Head / Sponsor: Kingston Velo Club
Sunday June 9th :
- 11:00am-3:00pm 1st Annual Kingston Family Bicycle Rodeo at the K-ROCK Centre / Sponsored by: Cycle Kingston; KCAT; KFL&A Public Health; City of Kingston; K-Rock Centre
Tuesday-Saturday Jun 4th-8th
- Big Bike for Heart and Stroke Association / www.bigbike.ca / Sponsored by: Heart and Stroke Association
- Tuesday at the Rio-Can centre
- Wednesday to Saturday at the K-ROCK Centre
UPDATE: Feb 21st, 2013
- Our 2013 Annual General Meeting is coming up 7pm on Tuesday March 26th at the Seniors Centre at 56 Francis Street in Portsmouth.
- Don't let the location fool you, we are encouraging cyclists of all ages to attend. We encourage you to give us input on our past and upcoming work!
- Cycle Kingston is once again hiring two student cycling ambassadors for the summer season! Check out the full job description here.
Cycling Week June 2-8, 2013
Wanted: Volunteers to help plan cycling week this year. Each year we plan roll-in breakfasts, rides, and films, but we can do more with your help! Send us a shout out at email@example.com to let us know how you can help.
A Message From Our Board of Directors
Dear Members and Friends of Cycle Kingston:
Cycle Kingston has a six-year history of promoting cycling and cycling safety in Kingston and the area. As the “go to” organization for cycling expertise, Cycle Kingston has: provided consultations to the City of Kingston and various organizations; conducted cycling skills courses for children and adults; given numerous school presentations; held town hall meetings regarding cycling issues; and raised the cycling awareness of countless individuals (both cyclists and non-cyclists) through such activities as information tables at community events and the Share the Road Campaign. Of course, we still organize and run Kingston’s Cycling Week in late May /early June.
We are in the process of finalizing a new strategic plan for Cycle Kingston that will carry us forward the next 5 to 10 years. A couple of the main goals included in this plan are:
- Locate and establish year-round operational space for an office and classroom (we’ve been renting space during the summer months)
- Hire a year-round staff person (at least part-time) for continuity of program planning, improved response to operational needs, and general operational management.
Cycle Kingston is primarily funded through various grants, membership fees, course fees, and donations. We continue to seek grant opportunities, but grants are not sustainable in the long run. Course fees alone are not sufficient to cover costs associated with running such programs (insurance being a large part of that).
So, Cycle Kingston needs your continuing support – volunteering, ideas and suggestions, as well as financial. Please consider making a donation today. Donations can be made on-line through CanadaHelps.org, or by mail to Cycle Kingston, P.O. Box 1002, Stn Main; Kingston, ON K7L 4X8. No amount is too small (or too large). Donations over $10 will receive a charitable donation receipt suitable for income tax purposes.
Cycle Kingston on Facebook
The time has come - see you on Facebook! Please become a fan of our organization and use the site to keep up to date on CK's activities and events.
Calling all Cyclists
Become a member of Cycle Kingston. As a small community run charitable organization we rely so much on our members for support with our various projects. Be a proud Kingston biker and join the team. Cycle Kingston Membership
About Cycle Kingston
Cycle Kingston is a grassroots, registered Canadian charity whose mandate is to promote and encourage cycling in Kingston through education and public outreach.
Our focus is on making cycling education available to as many people as possible by using different methods (such as courses, class presentations, media advertising, etc.) so that people will become empowered to learn to ride safely and more inclined to make the choice to cycle.
Cycle Kingston membership is just $5. By joining, you help us keep issues that matter to cyclists as part of the discussion on a growing and evolving Kingston.
It doesn't hurt that you also get some sweet savings at several great bike shops around town as part of he deal. See our Membership Page for more details.
Cycle Kingston is a non-profit registered charity. Please consider making a donation to help with our ongoing cycling education and awareness campaigns. You can send a cheque directly to us, via letter mail, to Cycle Kingston, PO Box 1002 Station Main, Kingston ON, K7L 4X8 Please make cheques payable to Cycle Kingston.
For your convienience, you may click on the link below to make an on-line donation through Canada Helps.
Funding provided by:
Contact Cycle Kingston
P.O. Box 1002 Stn Main
Kingston ON, K7L 4X8